Is your home a mess? Is your child's room messy? When your child is sent to clean his room, does he get distracted and play instead of clean? This is normal.
Children are not born with organizational skills. They are often overwhelmed and do not know where to begin. Their executive functions are still developing and children are still developing impulse control. So, when they look at a mess it is easier to play. When they see a toy, they can be distracted by the impulse to play. Cleaning a room is a complex task.
The organizational area of the brain is one of the last to develop and it develops throughout childhood.
Let's be honest, many adults struggle too, because they were never taught the habits and patterns to maintain order.
Here is an easy to follow daily pattern to maintaining a clean bedroom. One of the best ways to teach a child to clean their room is to do it with them until the pattern is set. It is wise to work with a child on a regular basis until they have this pattern down and do it automatically as a habit. Cleaning together can build trust, improve relationships, pass on values, and build character.
5 Habits to Teach Your Children
1. Make your bed as soon as you get up. For those living in humid climates, let your beds air until after breakfast and breakfast clean up are finished. Then make your bed before doing other activities.
2. Properly put clean laundry away, as soon as you receive it clean.
3. Place dirty laundry in a hamper, as you take it off.
4. Place trash in a trash can.
5. Properly put projects, books, and toys away, before going on to another task or leaving to play.
These five habits will help your children learn how to establish order in their life and lessen the mess in the home. These habits will also help them be more organized as they grow, for learning and later for work.
I write newsletters with helpful tips that can impact homeschool moms on topics such as: Homeschooling, homeculture, momculture, and home management. I also inform moms of site news, upcoming events, new products, and special offers. Join us and enjoy the journey.